Mathematics

This course gives you an insight into some of the diverse topics that can be studied in Mathematics. Pure Maths concepts such as Algebra, Trigonometry, Number Sequences and Calculus will comprise 67% of the course. Statistics and Mechanics techniques will make up the remaining 33% . While Maths is an intellectually stimulating subject in its own right, which develops your problem solving skills, it is also a useful aid to other courses with mathematical content, such as the Sciences, Computer Science and Economics.

Awarding Body

Available As

A Level

find out more about ucas points

What will I study?

This course gives you an insight into some of the diverse topics that can be studied in Mathematics. Pure Maths concepts such as Algebra, Trigonometry, Number Sequences and Calculus will comprise 67% of the course. Statistics and Mechanics techniques will make up the remaining 33% of the course. While Maths is an intellectually stimulating subject in its own right which develops your problem solving skills, it is also a useful aid to other courses with mathematical content such as the Sciences, Computer Science and Economics.
You would be expected to study 3 full A- level equivalent courses alongside it if you studied Maths at AS level.

67% of the content is Pure Maths (Algebra, Trigonometry, Number Sequences, Calculus)

16.5% of the content is Statistics

16.5% of the content is Mechanics  (theoretical Physics, such as suvat and Newton's laws)

Options

You can study a full A-level in Mathematics. The course is delivered over 2 years, with all relevant exams being sat in May / June of the second year.

The Maths A-level involves 67% Pure Maths, 16.5% Statistics and 16.5% Mechanics.

It is assessed by examination only; coursework does not feature in  A-level Mathematics.

How will I learn?

When learning Maths, you need to do lots of practice questions to help embed the techniques and concepts. 

In lessons we will practice the techniques, and for homework these techniques will be applied to solving exam-style questions.

The weekly homework assignment will be a substantial piece of work, which will be an essential part of the course.

How will I be assessed?

Assessment is through examinations at the end of the two years.

Are there any trips on this course?

There are usually two or three optional trips per year to lectures at Oxford University and elsewhere.

Recent trips and events include the following:

Stephen Hawking lecture at Oxford University

"Exploring Mathematics" seminars at Royal Holloway University

"Maths in Action" lectures at Warwick University

"Maths of the Brain" lecture at Oxford University

Senior Maths Challenges

Are there any extra costs?

The calculator (Casio FX991 EX) is required for A-level Mathematics. It is currently sold by the College shop for £23. You can pre-order it via Wisepay and then pick it up on your first day at College.

The textbooks are freely available to view online for all Cirencester College A-level Maths students. However, many students find the online version clunky and awkward to use so we recommend that you invest in the hard copies.  The cost of the textbooks via Wisepay is £25.  This gets you both the Pure and the Stats/Mechanics textbooks required for the first year of study on the A-level Maths course.

Are there any specific entry requirements?

Grade 7 in GCSE Maths is strongly recommended.

Students with a grade 6 may still be able to do the course, depending on a range of other factors such as the grades achieved in all other GCSE subjects and their long term career plan.  Advice and guidance will be given at enrolment for students who achieve a grade 6 and still want to take A-level Maths.

What enrichment activities are offered?

Recent trips and events include the following:

Stephen Hawking lecture at Oxford University

"Exploring Mathematics" seminars at Royal Holloway University

"Maths in Action" lectures at Warwick University

"Maths of the Brain" lecture at Oxford University

Senior Maths Challenges

Careers Information

FAQs

Do I need a graphical calculator?

Whilst you are not required to have a graphical calculator, you would find one useful and it could put you at an advantage in the exam.  If you are considering buying a graphical calculator, please choose the Casio FX-CG50 or Casio PRIZM FX-CG50.

The calculator required for the course (Casio FX991 EX "Classwiz") is not a graphical calculator.

What calculator do you recommend and how much does it cost?

The required calculator for the course is the Casio FX991 EX ("Classwiz").

Currently £23 from the College shop.  You can pre-order it via Wisepay.  You will then be able to collect it from the College shop on your first day at College.

Are there any option modules?

Not any more.  The new linear A-level Mathematics syllabus is 100% prescribed such that all exam boards are required to assess all students on the same content.

Do I have to have studied Additional Maths at school?

No, but if you are given the opportunity to study Additional Maths, then we would urge you to take it as it will help prepare you for the A-level course. Students who have studied Additional Maths at school tend to find the transition to A-level Maths much smoother.