There are two exam papers on L3 Core Maths.
Paper 1 includes:
- Data Analysis techniques (Using appropriate charts and figures to represent different sets of data)
- Financial Maths (Tax, Mortgages, Savings & Investments)
- Mathematical Modelling & Estimation (Modelling real world situations; Using Fermi estimations, solve problems such as how many human heartbeats there are in the UK each year)
Paper 2 includes:
- Critical Analysis techniques (Making rational decisions based on the data in front of you)
- Normal Distribution (incl. use of the famous Bell Curve)
- Confidence Intervals (How confident are you about your data....?)
- Correlation & Regression (Making predictions about the future / past using the data you've collected)
In lessons, you will discuss some typical real world problems which can be solved using a mathematical process. You will also practise relevant techniques.
The aim is to finish the new material by the end of February, so you can then use the lessons in March & April to revise for the exams, which are sat in May.
2 exam papers
In recent years, many Level 3 Maths students have attended a series of lectures entitled Maths In Action at Warwick University. You will be eligible to join this trip, for a small fee to cover the cost of the ticket and transport.
The calculator required for this course is the Casio FX-991EX ("Classwiz") which can be ordered via our Wisepay system for £23.
Grade 5 in GCSE Maths
Yes. You will require a Casio FX-991EX ("Classwiz") calculator.
This can be purchased for £23 via our Wisepay system.
We will have a set of relevant textbooks in the classroom. If you wish to buy your own copy to have at home, it is the following title:
Title: AQA Advanced Maths Mathematical Studies Level 3 Certificate