Support for Higher Achievers and Applications to Selecting Universities
Students from state schools and colleges often find themselves at a disadvantage when applying to the most competitive universities. The programme of support from our Higher Achievers' Academy is designed to help address this. It is for all students with good academic records and who would like to try for the more selective universities (e.g. the Russell Group) both in the UK and abroad.
- Guidance and encouragement to apply including additional University visits in year 1 and opportunities to ask questions of university representatives and some of our many ex-students who have gone to Russell Group Universities.
- A briefing for parents to help them to support you through the research and application process.
- A specialist Higher Achievers tutor group led by one of our High Achievers team.
- A range of extension sessions designed to develop your abilities to think critically and to argue. Two of the key abilities prized by top universities and useful both for interviews and when you get there.
- Discussion and debates of broader issues with students from other disciplines including some group competitions and visiting speakers
- Preparation for application and selection processes including how to research University Departments, introductions to aptitude tests and advice on presentations.
- Development of higher level academic skills including use of journals and referencing. This will lead into opportunities to undertake an Extended Project (EPQ) over the summer and autumn term of year 2.